What is Dry Eye?
Dry Eye is a condition in which the tear film that protects your eyes is inadequate for the health and comfort of your eyes. It is a very common condition and affects 15% of the population in the United States and approximately 5 million people over the age of 50.
Dry Eye is a chronic condition which can significantly impact one’s quality of life by affecting vision and making the eyes uncomfortable. The good news is that Dry Eye is treatable! However, since it is a chronic condition and never completely goes away, treatment requires daily intervention to maintain the health and comfort of your eyes.
Dry Eyes might cause your eyes to feel:
- Sandy or gritty
- Stinging or burning
- As if something is in them
- Or you may feel nothing at all
Dry Eyes can be caused by:
- Prescribed or over-the-counter medications
- Dry air, dry climate, or air conditioning
- Chronic eyelid disease
- Poor blinking
- Scar tissue of the eye’s mucous membranes
- Some chronic health condition